Module not found in script that was found in command-line interpreter. Possible Path issue?

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Thu Apr 3 13:54:31 EDT 2008

Jacob Davis wrote:
> I just installed the MySQLdb module and I have been able to get it to
> run in my command line interpreter.
>
> I am running Mac Leopard, and Python 2.5.
>
>  I have tested importing and actually connecting and using a MySQL
> database, although it issues some warning:
>
> SnakeBite:MySQL-python-1.2.2 Snake$ python
> Python 2.5 (r25:51918, Sep 19 2006, 08:49:13)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341)] on darwin
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/_mysql.py:3:
> UserWarning: Module _mysql was already imported from

 From that message it looks like this "python" is /usr/local/bin/python
(i.e. a separate installation than Apple's system python at
/usr/bin/python and /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework).

You can tell for sure by doing:

   $ which python

> However, while writing a .py script (with Komodo Edit) I try to simply
> import the module and the in-Komodo interpreter returns an error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/Users/Snake/Documents/NPS/Thesis/Source_Code/Genetics/mysql_connect_test.py",
> line 11, in <module>
>     import MySQLdb
> ImportError: No module named MySQLdb

I suspect that this is because your run of Komodo Edit doesn't have
"/usr/local/bin" on its PATH and is using "/usr/bin/python" instead of
the one you typically use on the command line.

You can configure Komodo to know about /usr/local/bin by adding a "PATH"
setting in the "Environment" prefs panel. Arguably Komodo should just
add /usr/local/bin to its runtime PATH by default, but unfortunately it
currently doesn't. Komodo doesn't pick up your normal bash shell
environment because of problems trying to get that information in general.

Please let me know (or on the komodo-discuss list [^1] or Komodo bug
database [^2]) if you have any problems getting that going.

Cheers,
Trent