Is this a good time to start learning python?

Reedick, Andrew jr9445 at ATT.COM
Tue Apr 1 11:14:40 EDT 2008

Eh... reading other people's Python code can be pretty hit or miss too.
Between undeclared variables (did you mean to reuse that variable name?)
and dynamic typing, Python can be really tough to follow.  Add in side
effects, over-use of lambdas, and the really hit or miss quality of
Python's documentation, and Python can be just as difficult to follow as
Perl.

The things that make code readable are good comments, good design
(Python emphasizes OO which helps,) and well-structured code (i.e. don't
combine 3-4 operations in a single line.)  This holds true for any
language, so I wouldn't go out of my to ding Perl.  IME.

> its "One (obvious) way to do things" philosophy

Given some of the solutions people have proposed to code questions in
the past, I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.  ;-)