Python-by-example - new online guide to Python Standard Library

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:04:07 EDT 2008

On Apr 2, 2:50 pm, AK <andrei.... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
> > "AK" <andrei.... at gmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:47f2d018$0$6517$4c368faf at roadrunner.com...

> > |http://www.lightbird.net/py-by-example/
>
> > Using - as the example/return delimiter does not work.
> > If you do not want to substantially lengthen the document by going to

> > 3
>
> > then use Python's a comment symbol.
>
> > sqrt(9) # 3
> > -or-
> > sqrt(9) # returns 3 (but I think I prefer the first)
>
> > which clearly is not an arithmetic expression and which can be
> > cut-and-pasted into the interactive interpreter.  This also works nicely
> > for invalid examples.
>
> > sqrt(-9) # raises ValueError
>
> > Terry Jan Reedy
>
> Thanks to everybody who replied, I will implement the change as per
> Terry's advice. I'm still considering whether to use the standard
> interpreter syntax, i.e. >>> ... \n result; my reason for not doing that
> is that I will often have a whole screen of function / result lines and
> if I were to add a new line for the result, that'd make two pages out of
> one, which I think is a bit too much. In current docs there are not so
> many examples, so that space is not multiplied quite so much, and using
>   interactive interpreter way of showing result is not nearly as much of
> a problem. However, I'm still thinking this over and it seems that
> almost everyone wants to see it done in that way, I might still go for
> two lines. I'll also be posting updates as the work progresses..
>
> thx,
>
> --
>   -ak
>    Tobu |http://www.lightbird.net/tobu/| Freeform DB / Tagger / PIM
>    Python-by-Example |http://www.lightbird.net/py-by-example/| Guide
> to LibRef

You should also change the look of the page to be more high-contrast.
The grayish text in a gray box and the light green text...all too
subtle to see.  Not easy for well-sighted people let alone those with
poorer vision.  Try make things visually very obvious, bolded headers,
etc.  If so, and with the change of showing the result not with an "-"
symbol, it will be much stronger.  Thank you for doing it.