Where to get BeautifulSoup--www.crummy.com appears to be down.

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Fri Apr 25 10:53:34 EDT 2008

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:
>> simple Python-only modules, all you'd really need to do to prove the
>> concept is to develop the client-side Windows software (eg. apt-get
>> for Windows) which downloads package lists, verifies signatures, and
>> works out where to put the package contents. ...
>
> I thought the Windows "solution" to this was Authenticode, which is a
> scheme for signing executables against certificates similar to those
> used on SSL web sites.  Of course there's been at least one notorious
> forgery, but typical Linux distro repositories are probably not all
> that secure either.
>
> In the case of a pure Python program like Beautiful Soup, I certainly
> think any installation needing running code should be done by
> distutils included in the Python distro.

    Yes.

    Perl has CPAN, which is reasonably comprehensive and presents modules
in a uniform way.  If you need a common Perl module that's not in the
Perl distro, it's probably in CPAN. "Installing a new module can be as
simple as typing perl -MCPAN -e 'install Chocolate::Belgian'."
So Perl has exactly that.

    Python's Cheese Shop is just a list of links to packages
elsewhere.  There's no uniformity, no standard installation, no
standard uninstallation, and no standard version control.

				John Nagle