Does Python 2.5 include or not include SQLite engine?

J Sisson sisson.j at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:08:20 EDT 2008

On Gentoo, SQLite can be turned on or off via the sqlite USE flag for Python
2.5+ during installation.  There's also a separate pysqlite package, and the
python-updater script doesn't seem to take Python2.5's build into account
when (re)building all of the Python2.4 modules for Python2.5...it breaks
Python's sqlite support if you have both a) the sqlite USE flag set and b)
the pysqlite package installed.  (Might have been fixed since I last looked
at it).

OpenBSD seems to have pysqlite as a separate package from the "stock" python
2.5 package (at least on i386).

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Trent Mick <trentm at activestate.com> wrote:

> Whether a Python installation includes the SQLite 3 bindings typically
> depends on:
>
> 1. Python version: core support for the SQLite 3 bindings (i.e. the
> "sqlite3" module) was added in Python 2.5. Earlier versions of Python may
> also have a 3rd-party package/module that adds SQLite bindings, of course.
>
> 2. The Python distro: The binary Python 2.5 installers from python.org(for Windows and Mac OS X [^1]) and ActiveState, i.e. ActivePython, (for
> Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX and AIX) include the "sqlite3"
> module as part of the installer. I don't know about other Python
> distributions.
>
> 3. Platform: Commonly on Linux one will get Python from the Linux distro's
> own packaging utility (e.g., apt-get, rpm, synaptic, yum, etc.) Typically
> the Linux distros will break up a Python installation into multiple
> packages. So an installation of, say, the "python2.5" package will often not
> have the "sqlite3" module. To get it you would have to install the separate
> "python2.5-sqlite" package. (Note: the names of these packages vary with
> Linux distro and version of that distro.)
>

> Cheers,
> Trent
>
> [1]: I could be wrong about whether the Mac OS X binary installer for
> Python 2.5 from python.org includes the "sqlite3" module -- I haven't
> checked -- but I presume it does.
>

> Banibrata Dutta wrote:
>
> > Doesn't this depend on the source / distro ? My Python is from the
> > ActivePython distro, while I am not sure (since I've just about started
> > playing with it), I haven't seen SQLite included ... possible that I missed
> > it.
> >
> > On 4/22/08, *python at bdurham.com <mailto:python at bdurham.com>* <
> > python at bdurham.com <mailto:python at bdurham.com>> wrote:
> >
> >    While reading feedback to my post "Does Python 2.5.2's embedded
> > SQLite
> >    support full text searching?" I noticed that there appears to be some
> >    confusion regarding whether Python 2.5 includes the SQLite engine.
> >
> >    My Windows 2.5.2 binary download includes SQLite.
> >
> >    But other posters claim otherwise, re: Linux releases of Python 2.5?
> >
> >    I thought one of the major features of Python 2.5 was its embedded
> >    SQLite engine.
> >
> >    Thoughts?
> >

> --
> Trent Mick
> trentm at activestate.com
>
> --

Computers are like air conditioners...
They quit working when you open Windows.