class super method

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 1 19:10:00 EDT 2008

Steve Holden wrote:
> George Sakkis wrote:
>> On Mar 31, 10:41 pm, Ed Leafe <e... at leafe.com> wrote:
[...]
>> In a sentence, it's better than nothing but worse than anything.
>>
> So you are prepared to write off the voice of experience because some
> random web pages contradict what Ed is saying?
>
> As Ed rightly points out, any sufficiently complex gun can end up
> shooting you in the foot.

Lest my remarks should be thought disrespectful to Michele Simionato, I
should point out that I am familiar with those comments, and they do
correctly identify problems with super() which are in fact fundamental
to any multiple inheritance scheme. So it was a little rude of me to
refer to "some random web pages" there, and I apologize.

Ed is a good enough designer to avoid the corner cases. Strangely enough
the one place where I have ended up making significant use of super()
was in providing mixins for wxPython interface classes!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119