Java or C++?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Apr 23 17:40:07 EDT 2008

Bob Martin wrote:
> in 342367 20080414 074410 s0suk3 at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello, I was hoping to get some opinions on a subject. I've been
>> programming Python for almost two years now. Recently I learned Perl,
>> but frankly I'm not very comfortable with it. Now I want to move on
>> two (sic) either Java or C++, but I'm not sure which. Which one do you think
>> is a softer transition for a Python programmer? Which one do you think
>> will educate me the best?
>
> C++ is for masochists.  Go for Java.

    Definitely Java.  And I have ten years of C++ experience.

    C++ is the only major language that has hiding without safety.
That was a mistake.

    Perl is useful because it runs everywhere; you'll be able to run
your Perl program on just about any commercial web hosting service.
Other than that, there's not much good to be said for it.

    Java is a generally good language fighting to get out from under
a mountain of mediocre libraries.

					John Nagle