State of ctypes Support on HP-UX?

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Thu Apr 3 15:17:14 EDT 2008

Phil Thompson schrieb:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Thomas Heller wrote:
>> Phil Thompson schrieb:
>> > Could somebody confirm how well ctypes is supported on HP-UX (for both
>> > PA-RISC and Itanium) for both Python v2.4 and v2.5?

>> I cannot answer your question, but if you want to try it out
>> yourself there is the HP testdrive program: http://www.testdrive.hp.com/
>
> Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately the answer is that there is no support
> (at least for ctypes v1.0.2).

I tried out the current SVN version of Python myself.  ctypes doesn't compile
on the PA system (the libffi assembler code fails to compile),  but I did get
it to work on the Itanium system with gcc (I had to set LDSHARED="gcc -shared"
before configuring).  Even the ctypes unittests pass on this system.

In theory, the ctypes code should be backwards-compatible with python 2.4, although
in practice it currently is not, but IMO it should be possible to change it accordingly.

Would this be useful to you?

Thomas