I just killed GIL!!!

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Apr 17 09:40:09 EDT 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> For the record, I am not complaining about that GIL.  As I said, I
>> understand and approve of why it's there.  I am, however, complaining
>> about attitude that if you want to be free of the GIL you're doing
>> something wrong.
>
> If you _want_ to be free of the GIL, you are not _doing_ anything, and
> that may or may not be wrong. If you are complaining about the GIL,
> I think you are doing something wrong, because complaining doesn't
> help progress at all. I think neither was the case in this thread -
> the guy claimed that he actually did something about the GIL, and
> now we are all waiting for him to also tell us what it is that he
> did. I think it is somewhat wrong to not tell in the first place,
> but this is free software, and choosing not to contribute isn't
> inherently wrong. Maybe the guy is making fun of us; whether that
> is wrong or not depends on your notion of humor.

I suspect rather that he is merely deluded. Time alone will tell - the
OP is a fertile source of ideas, not all of them fully baked, shall we
say. I agree that the coyness in not immediately revealing the technique
is less than helpful, and increases my assessment that the assertion of
having "killed the GIL" will turn out to be wrong.

I'd love to be wrong about that, but the GIL *has* been the subject of
extensive efforts to kill it over the last five years, and it has
survived despite the best efforts of the developers.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119