How is GUI programming in Python?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 17:39:19 EDT 2008

Rune Strand wrote:
> On Apr 10, 3:54 am, Chris Stewart <cstewart... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Next, what would you say is the best framework I should look into?
>> I'm curious to hear opinions on that.
>>

> GUI-programming in Python is a neanderthal experience. What one may
> love with console scripts is turned upside-down.  Projects like Boa
> Constructor seemed to be a remedy, but is not developed. The Iron-
> Pythonistas has a very promising RAD GUI-tool in the IronPython -
> Studio, http://www.codeplex.com/IronPythonStudio - but if you're non-
> Iron, only sorrow is left - unless you fancy creating GUI in a text-
> editor. Something I consider waste of life.

Although not as simple as Delphi,
wxPython is still quit simple:

   GUI = """
   self.Splitter_Plots    ,SplitterVer
     self.Panel           ,PanelVer, 010
       self.Panel_Top     ,PanelHor, 11
         label1           ,wx.StaticText  ,label = "Signal1"
         label2           ,wx.StaticText  ,label = "Signal2"
       self.Panel_X       ,wx.Panel, 11
       self.Panel_Bottom  ,PanelHor
         label11          ,wx.StaticText  ,label = "Signal1b"
         label12          ,wx.StaticText  ,label = "Signal2b"
     Panel_B              ,wx.Panel
       Button_1           ,wx.Button      ,label = "Test"
       Button_2           ,wx.Button      ,label = "Test2", pos = (100,0)
   """
   exec ( Create_wxGUI ( GUI ) )

cheers,
Stef