Python generators (coroutines)

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 13:53:03 EDT 2008

On Apr 23, 4:17 pm, rocco.ro... at gmail.com wrote:
> I would really like to know more about python 2.5's new generator
> characteristics that make them more powerful and analogous to
> coroutines. Is it possible for instance to employ them in situations
> where I would normally use a thread with a blocking I/O (or socket)
> operation? If it is, could someone show me how it can be done? There
> appears to be a very limited amount of documentation in this repect,
> unfortunately.
>
> Thank you.

The real changes between Python 2.4 and Python 2.5 generators are
1) now you can have a yield inside a try .. finally statement
2) now you can send an exception to a generator

The fact that now you can send values to a generator
is less important, since you could implement the
same in Python 2.4 with little effort (granted, with an uglier syntax)
whereas there was no way to get 1) and 2).
Anyway, if you have a blocking operation, the only solution is to use
a thread or a separate process.

  Michele Simionato