Python(2.5) reads an input file FASTER than pure C(Mingw)

SL ni at hao.com
Sat Apr 26 14:22:34 EDT 2008

> char vs[1002000][99];
> FILE *fp=fopen("D:\\some.txt","r");
>
> int main() {
>    int i=0;
>    while (true) {
>        if (!fgets(vs[i],999,fp)) break;
>        ++i;
>    }

first of all I would rewrite the C loop to:

int main() {
    int i=0;
    while (fgets(vs[i],999,fp))
        ++i;
}

but I think that the difference comes from what you do in the beginning of
the C source:

char vs[1002000][99];

this reserves 99,198,000 bytes so expect a lot of cache trashing in the C
code!

Is there an implementation of f.readlines on the internet somewhere?
interested to see in how they implemented it. I'm pretty sure they did it
smarter than just reserve 100meg of data :)