Prototype OO

sam sam at mas.pl
Thu Apr 3 04:07:38 EDT 2008

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com napisał(a):

> So, while I often use Python's lambdas, the imposed limitations is ok
> to me since I wouldn't use it for anything more complex.

> Also - as a side note - while the syntax is a bit different, the
> resulting object is an ordinary function.

And people start asking why this is that or the other way in Python, and you
can't give a good answer to newcomers, especially if Python was chosen as a
first learning language. You can't tell "because Python's parsing mechanism
don't allow statements in expressions...".

>> But somebody may prefix his names with class names and cause nameconflict,
>
> Here the problem is more philosophical than anything else.

Almost the whole discussion is philosofical, but clear philosophy is a good thing.

> It's enough. FWIW, I'm not sure I had a use-case for this feature more
> than a couple time in 7+ years.

> Simple, indeed. But why "not perfect" ? What else would you want ?

I would expect you to told me at the beginning that this is enough to solve the
problem and that somebody can still cause name conflict, but Python was built
for wise people.