Decrementing of reference count of new objects?

Mitko Haralanov mitko at qlogic.com
Tue Apr 1 17:49:28 EDT 2008

For the most part, I understand the theory behind reference counting in
Python C code. But there is one thing that I am confused about and I
have not been able to clear it up.

Let say that you have the following function (over-simplified):

PyObject *do_work (PyObject *self, PyObject *args) {
	PyObject *new_obj;
	new_obj = PyDict_New ();
	return new_obj;
}

What I don't get is whether I have to decrement the reference to
new_obj before I return it. I know that function that return object are
giving away the reference but I am still confused.

Thanks for all your help!
Mitko Haralanov					 mitko at qlogic.com
Senior Software Engineer			     650.934.8064
HSG InfiniBand Engineering		    http://www.qlogic.com