Any reliable obfurscator for Python 2.5

JB Stern notformail at sonic.net
Sun Apr 20 11:28:52 EDT 2008

Banibrata Dutta wrote:
>>Wanted to check if there is any known, reliable, FOSS/Libre -- Obfurscator
>> for Python 2.5 code.

No, sadly, there is not.  There are a number of applications I would be
working on if it were possible to obfuscate pyc files.  About the best
you can do as of 2008/04 is use Jython to compile into Java bytecode and
obfuscate that using Proguard.

Steve 'not an economics major' Holden wrote:
>The Python world isn't particularly paranoid about obfuscation. It's
>quite easy to publish compiled code only (.pyc and/or .pyo files), and
>that offers enough protection for most.

Curious Steve, how do you pay the rent and by what authority do you
speak for "The Python world"?  Your opinion couldn't be more wrong for
programmers like myself who live by the code they write (as opposed to
its support).

Steve 'not a software consultant' Holden wrote:
>The sad fact is that there seems to be an almost direct inverse
>correlation between the worth of the code and the authors' desire to
>protect it from piracy.

Would love to see some evidence to that effect.

JB