module error in Vista -- works as administrator

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Apr 21 17:42:45 EDT 2008

sawilla wrote:
> First, I'm new to Python. I'm getting and error when I run Python
> 2.5.2 as a regular user in Vista but not when I run Python as an
> administrator.
>
> For example, if I type "import numpy" after I launch python from an
> adminstrator-privileged command window it loads fine. However, from a
> regular-user command window I get:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named numpy

Log on as administrator, start python in command window and do this:

import sys
sys.path # shows where python is looking for importables
import numpy
import os.path
print os.path.abspath(numpy.__file__) # shows where it found numpy

Log on as ordinary user, start python in command window and do this:

import sys
sys.path
# check how this is different from the admin's sys.path

If you can't see what to do after that, come back here with the output
from those steps.

HTH,
John