I just killed GIL!!!

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 04:18:49 EDT 2008

On Apr 17, 3:37 am, Jonathan Gardner <jgard... at jonathangardner.net>
wrote:
> Using 100% of the CPU is a bug, not a feature.

No it isn't.  That idea is borne of the narrowmindedness of people who
write server-like network apps.  What's true for web servers isn't
true for every application.

> If you can't rewrite
> your algorithm to be disk or network bound, next optimization step is
> C.

I'm sorry, but I don't like being told to use C.  Perhaps I would like
the expressiveness of Python, am willing to accept the cost in
performance, but would also like to take advantage of technology to
get performance gains when I can?  What's so unreasonable about that?

Look, the GIL is not a good thing.  It's a trade off.  Probably a good
one, too, considering the history of Python's development and the way
it simplifies writing extensions.  But it's not, by itself, a good
thing.

For the record, I am not complaining about that GIL.  As I said, I
understand and approve of why it's there.  I am, however, complaining
about attitude that if you want to be free of the GIL you're doing
something wrong.

Carl Banks