Environment Variables

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 09:17:56 EDT 2008

On Apr 25, 8:07 am, Krishna <manthra.mo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Environment variable set up is the most confusing part for me all the
> time. Please help me with the following questions:
>
> When I install python in a new system, I will go to environment
> variables (system variables) and set "path" pointing to C:\Python25
> and thats all I do.
> I type python from "cmd" window and its converting to python window
> for python execution. All fine up to this point.
> Now, I want to drag and drop python (.py) files to this window and
> execute it. My python files are located in different directories
> inside C: and outside C:. When I do that, I get errors and the file is
> not found and its not imported. ALso, inside the .py file, if I have a
> command to open a different file, it doesnt see that either. How do I
> overcome these basic difficulties in python. I wish I can open any
> file and work on that using python.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Krishna

I'm pretty sure you can't do that in a command window. I tried it on
my Windows XP machine and all I get in my instance of IDLE is the path
to the file. It DOES work with PythonWin, which is the ActiveState
version of Python. The only difference is that it include the win32
modules and has a more advanced editor.

You can probably get this to work in other more advanced editors, like
WingIDE or PyDev too.

Mike