Calling Python code from inside php

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Apr 25 09:29:49 EDT 2008

Nick Stinemates schrieb:
>> While I certainly prefer to use Python wherever I can, that does not mean
>> that there aren't cases where legacy systems or other constraints make this
>> impossible. If I have e.g. a type3-based website - "how on earth" should I
>> replace that with Python (without wasting a lot of time)?
>
> I don't understand how the 2 are mutually exclusive?
>
> You can have PHP and Python bindings installed on the same Apache
> server, unless I'm mistaken?

What about having to set up & maintain (which might not even possible on
a cheap hoster) two configs for that - just for having a few lines of
python being run? And how do you go about session-state sharing and so
forth? After all the scipt might need to be access controlled based on
login state.

I don't say that there aren't options to run python more direct. I
argumented against a rather bold statement of Mr. alexelder:

"""
A simple yet dangerous and rather rubbish solution (possibly more of a
hack than a real implementation) could be achieved by using a
technique described above:
"""

Diez