Is this a good time to start learning python?

lbonafide at yahoo.com lbonafide at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 14:57:21 EDT 2008

On Apr 1, 12:47 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
wrote:
> En Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:57:55 -0300, <lbonaf... at yahoo.com> escribió:
>
> > On Mar 31, 1:36 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Don't be scared by the "backwards incompatible" tag - it's the way to
> >> get
> >> rid of nasty things that could not be dropped otherwise.
>
> > I would consider breaking production code to be "nasty" as well.
>
> Please explain how the existence of Python 3.0 would break your production
> code.

The existence of battery acid won't hurt me either, unless I come into
contact with it.  If one eventually upgrades to 3.0 -- which is
ostensibly the desired path -- their code could break and require
fixing.

Backward compatibility is important.   C++ could break all ties with C
to "clean up" as well, but it would be a braindead move that would
break existing code bases upon upgrade.