Python -v import behavior

Sean Ryan searyan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 12:42:15 EDT 2008

Hi all,
(A similar question was posted by a colleague, but did not appear to  reach
comp.lang.python or this list).

I am wondering if the -v option causes the python application to be more
tolerant to module import warnings and / or errors.

The reason is that a module is failing to import correctly (generating an
ImportError exception).  Examining this closer we re-ran the script using
the -v option. to find that "Unsatisfied symbol" errors we being displayed
during import (cx_Oracle 4.3.1, python 2.5.1, HP-UX 11, oracle 9.2).
However, the module is usable from the python prompt (when using -v)
displayed, i.e. dir (cx_Oracle) works correctly, as does  database
interaction.  Without the -v option the script is halted due to the
ImportError exception.

My questions are:
1.  Is there a way to mimic the seemingly more tolerant import behavior  of
python -v without producing the verbose output ?
2.  Is the behavior described above expected and documented ?

Thanks and best regards,
Sean