I just killed GIL!!!

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Apr 21 09:20:59 EDT 2008

In article <d1548d12-85b6-45cc-8010-0bde9c1c364e at u12g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Carl Banks  <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Apr 20, 10:57 pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>> In article <b6de5e65-19b9-40b4-b9b9-f4cf0e61b... at l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
>> Carl Banks  <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>No it isn't.  That idea is borne of the narrowmindedness of people who
>>>write server-like network apps.  What's true for web servers isn't
>>>true for every application.
>>
>> Only when you have only one application running on a machine.
>
>Needless pedantry.
>
>"Using 100% of the CPU time a OS allow a process to have is not
>necessarily a bug."  Happy?

Not really; my comment is about the same level of pedantry as yours.
Jonathan's comment was clearly in the context of inappropriate CPU usage
(e.g. spin-polling).  Obviously, there are cases where hammering on the
CPU for doing a complex calculation may be appropriate, but in those
cases, you will want to ensure that your application gets as much CPU as
possible by removing all unnecessary CPU usage by other apps.

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?