pyexpat.so not importing

Walker Lindley wlindley at ups.edu
Thu Apr 17 18:14:24 EDT 2008

Hopefully this is a relatively common problem. I'm working on a web service
using ZSI running on Apache. The client generates a request just fine, but
when the server tries to parse it, it fails while importing pyexpat.so.
Specifically what's happening (after I traced the call stack down) is that
xml.parsers.expat is being imported and that module consists of a single
line:
from pyexpat import *
And that line is failing. Since it's running from within Apache, I don't get
a full error message, but I print a message to Apache's error log before and
after that line executes. The message before it prints and the message after
it does not. So something's going wrong during that import, but since it's a
compiled file, I don't really know what. Is there a way to get better
information about what's going wrong? Has someone else had this problem and
fixed it?

Thanks,
Walker