When does a binary extension gets the file extension '.pyd' and when is it '.so'

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Apr 5 22:14:15 EDT 2008

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

>> and for the record, Python doesn't look for PYD files on any of the Unix
>> boxes I have convenient access to right now.  what Ubuntu version are
>> you using, what Python version do you have, and what does
>>
>>      $ python -c "import imp; print imp.get_suffixes()"
>>
>> print on your machine?
>
> for reference, here's what I get on Ubuntu 7.10, with the standard
> Python interpreter (2.5.1):
>
> $ python -c "import imp; print imp.get_suffixes()"
> [('.so', 'rb', 3), ('module.so', 'rb', 3), ('.py', 'U', 1),
> ('.pyc', 'rb', 2)]
>
> any Ubuntu gurus here that can sort this one out?

I wouldn't claim to be an Ubuntu guru but it seems as though the Ubuntu
team decide that you would be able to import extension module YYY either
from YYY.so or from YYYmodule.so. IF you are asking *why* then I'd have
to answer that I have no idea at all.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119