Manipulate Large Binary Files

Derek Tracy tracyde at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:59:57 EDT 2008

I am trying to write a script that reads in a large binary file (over 2Gb)
saves the header file (169088 bytes) into one file then take the rest of the
data and dump it into anther file.  I generated code that works wonderfully
for files under 2Gb in size but the majority of the files I am dealing with
are over the 2Gb limit

INPUT = open(infile, 'rb')
header = FH.read(169088)

ary = array.array('H', INPUT.read())

INPUT.close()

OUTF1 = open(outfile1, 'wb')
OUTF1.write(header)

OUTF2 = open(outfile2, 'wb')
ary.tofile(OUTF2)

When I try to use the above on files over 2Gb I get:
     OverflowError: requested number of bytes is more than a Python string
can hold

Does anybody have an idea as to how I can get by this hurdle?

I am working in an environment that does not allow me to freely download
modules to use.  Python version 2.5.1

R/S --
Derek Tracy
tracyde at gmail.com