[Python 2.4/2.5] subprocess module is sorely deficient?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Apr 22 09:32:17 EDT 2008

Harishankar wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 Apr 2008 18:00:02 Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
>> There is a recipe in the cookbook
>>
>>   http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/440554
>>
>> Which I've used and it works.
> Thanks. I found that recipe too. I was hoping I could cook up something
> similar without having to use the module win32api...

Well if you want to, you can reproduce the same effect by using ctypes
which *is* in the standard library. But why reinvent the wheel?

> By the way, the win32api seems to be a nonstandard module (i.e. not present in
> the main distribution).

Correct. It's part of the pywin32 extensions, one of many useful packages available
to the discerning Python programmer who doesn't feel in some way bound to
whatever comes bundled with the standard library.

TJG