Using Python to verify streaming tv/radio station links

donnyf at gmail.com donnyf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 08:52:41 EDT 2008

Hi guys. I've put together a website ( http://worldwidemediaproject.com
) that is a database of internet streaming tv/radio stations from
around the world. I have built the site with all users in mind. The
site should be Linux, Unix, Mac, Win, etc friendly as I do not hide
the actual stream link or force the user to use an embedded player to
view/listen to the streams. In fact, you can even download the streams
you like as a playlist that you can load into your player of choice
(and even a few PVR software plugins).

In building the site, I have enabled the user to report stations that
are nonfunctional. In addition to this, I would like to automate the
checking of the links in the database as well as any user submitted
links. What I am wanting to do is to script this with a simple for
loop which would loop through a file containing the station stream
link as well as the station id. I'd like to pass each through some
kind of verification function and if a connection is made then the
stream is good and move on to the next. If the connection fails then
the stream is bad, I would like to add the station id to a file
containing all 'nonfunctional' streams that I can later automate to
flag the stations.

Is there an easy way to use python to verify a stream exists? I've
done a little experimenting with sockets and was able to connect to my
usenet server and talk to it, but I don't really know what's involved
with connecting to streaming windows media, real media and winamp
servers or what to expect as far as connection status messages.   I am
not unfamiliar with python, but I am far from an expert. If anyone
could give me a hand with this or give me a push in the right
direction I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks!