Looking for a way to include Pyhtho scripting INSIDE a python program

John Antypas response1 at antypas.net
Sat Apr 12 23:16:00 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm writing in tool in Python that manipulates various data objects read
from various streams.  I wanted to give the user a chance to do advanced
work that could not easily be done from a GUI.

At first, I tried putting in a lightweight scripting language, and then
I thought, why not include Python in itself -- it is certainly powerful
enough.

I had assumed I'd present the user with a text window in which they
could type arbitrary python code.  I'd wrap that code around a function
and pass that function a call of objects they could manipulate by
calling the methods of that class.

1. How can a python program invoke ANOTHER interpreter?
2. How can I pass the class in as its argument and get the modified
class back?

I know I can do something very ugly -- call a C method that calls a new
python interpreter but that seems VERY ugly.

Help?

Thanks.