Nested try...except

cokofreedom at gmail.com cokofreedom at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 09:12:05 EDT 2008

On Apr 2, 3:06 pm, Magnus.Morab... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found the following code on the net -
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-python-cvs/200509.mbox/%3C20050924104732.5116.qm...@minotaur.apache.org%3E
>
> def count(self):
> -            db = sqlite.connect(self.filename,
> isolation_level=ISOLATION_LEVEL)
> -            try:
> -                try:
> -                    cur = db.cursor()
> -                    cur.execute("select count(*) from sessions")
> -                    return cur.fetchone()[0]
> -                finally:
> -                    cur.close()
> -            finally:
> -                db.close()
>
> I don't understand though why the second try is not after the line cur
> = db.cursor(). Can anyone explain for me why?
>
> /Barry.

Better question is why is there a try with no except...

Better yet, WHY is there two TRY statements when there could quite
happily be only one...

Towards what you are asking, I GUESS...because the author hoped to
handle the cases where cur failed to get assigned...but then
his .close method of it would likely not work anyway...I mean...does
this even work...YUCK