Learning curve for new database program with Python?

Gary Duzan mgi820 at motorola.com
Mon Apr 7 14:19:51 EDT 2008

In article <mailman.2994.1207584753.9267.python-list at python.org>,
M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>On 2008-04-07 15:30, Greg Lindstrom wrote:
>>
>> SQL is one of the areas I wish I had mastered (much) earlier in my career
>
>Fully agree :-)
>
>Interesting comments in a time where everyone seems to be obsessed
>with ORMs.

   It seems to me that ORM can work if your database isn't too
complex and it is the only way your database is going to be accessed.
In our case, we have a messy legacy database (lots of tables,
triggers, stored procedures, etc., that nobody really understands)
with multiple processes hitting it, and so our efforts to integrate
Hibernate haven't been terribly smooth.  In this environment the
hack seems to be to have Hibernate write to its own tables, then
have stored procedures sync them with the old tables.  Not pretty.

					Gary Duzan