Python development tools

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Thu Apr 24 07:15:00 EDT 2008

Torsten Bronger a écrit :
> Hallöchen!
>
> bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com writes:
>
>> On 23 avr, 19:39, "wongjoek... at yahoo.com" <wongjoek... at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any completely free developent tools for python scripts
>>> like IDLE. I have used IDLE , but I want to try out others
>>> also. I saw stuff like PyCrust, but I don't see that it can run
>>> the script as well.
>> emacs + python-mode (the one from Python, not the horror that
>> ships with recent emacs versions)
>
> What's so bad about it?

I'd have to reinstall it to tell you exactly, but I do remember
something really bad wrt/ the embedded python-shell, which is one the
very strength of the emacs+python-mode combo.

> I just installed python-mode (is this the one with the "py-"
> prefixes?),

It's the one with ;; Copyright (C) 1992,1993,1994  Tim Peters

> and it ends multi-line strings at single quotes.

it chokes on unbalanced single quotes in triple-single-quoted strings,
and on unbalanced double-quotes in triple-double-quoted strings, yes.
Given that I never use triple-single-quoted strings (and don't remember
having seen such a thing in the thousands of third-part .py files I've
read so far), I'd qualify this as at most a very minor annoyance. Not
having proper python-shell and pdb integration is wwwwaaaayyyy more
annoying IMHO.