computing with characters

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 30 05:06:52 EDT 2008

Hallöchen!

SL writes:

> "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> schreef in bericht
> news:mailman.365.1209541507.12834.python-list at python.org...
>
>> En Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:19:22 -0300, SL <ni at hao.com> escribió: And
>> that's a very reasonable place to search; I think chr and ord are
>> builtin functions (and not str methods) just by an historical
>> accident. (Or is there any other reason? what's wrong with
>> "a".ord() or str.from_ordinal(65))?
>
> yes when you know other OO languages you expect this. Anyone know
> why builtins were chosen? Just curious

*Maybe* for aesthetical reasons.  I find ord(c) more pleasent for
the eye.  YMMV.

The biggest ugliness though is ",".join().  No idea why this should
be better than join(list, separator=" ").  Besides, ",".join(u"x")
yields an unicode object.  This is confusing (but will probably go
away with Python 3).

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger at jabber.org