What can we do about all the spam that the list is getting?

Mark Shroyer usenet-mail at markshroyer.com
Wed Apr 16 15:50:45 EDT 2008

In article
<f9fa48f0-0240-48c2-b9b3-ee7bcafb4c5e at f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
 Mensanator <mensanator at aol.com> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 12:01 pm, sr... at ferg.org wrote:
> > What can we do about all the spam that comp.lang.python is getting?
> > Things are getting pretty bad.
>
> Buy Google and make them fix it.

I've had pretty good luck with MT-NewsWatcher, a freeware Mac newsreader
that performs Bayesian spam filtering.  Thunderbird's Usenet reader also
offers Bayesian filtering, which presumably works just as well for
classifying Usenet spam as it does at handling email spam.

So download a "real" NNTP client for whatever platform you're on and
give its spam filter a shot; clearly Google is not interested in
fighting spam itself.

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/