is Pylons alive?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Wed Apr 9 08:23:57 EDT 2008

Mage wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't want to be impolite, just in short: I am thinking about leaving
> RoR and coming back to Python. I've missed the last two years in Python,
> however I have been subscribed to this list and there are not too many
> e-mails about Pylons in my mailbox.

Why don't you take a look at the Pylons mailing list instead?
http://groups.google.com/group/pylons-discuss

> On my Gentoo the latest Pylons ebuild has date "jul 2007" or something
> like last summer. It has testing keywords both for x86 and amd64. (No
> stable version available). It's available on my debian "testing" desktop.
>
> Before spending much time for investigating, I would like to ask you: is
> Pylons the framework I look for if I want to come back to Python and
> develop MVC web apps?

Of course I don't know if Pylons is the best tool for you. It is
definitely alive and kicking. Anyway, I'm pretty sure there's no way
around trying it out for yourself. It should only take a few hours to
see if you're comfortable with it.

Other alternatives:
- Django
- TurboGears 2.0 (I personally wouldn't bother with TurboGears 1.x at
this point)
- Build your own based on WSGI components, mix and match WSGI server,
ORM, template engine - this is not so stupid as it may sound

HTH,

-- Gerhard