email module windows and suse

Lev Elbert elbertlev at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 13 11:42:50 EDT 2008

Hi, all!

I have to make a custom email module, based on the standard one. The
custom module has to be able to work with extremely large mails (1GB
+), having memory "footprint" much smaller.
The modified program has to work in SUSE environment, while the
development is done under Windows.  I'm not too good with linux and do
not know if speedup in Windows translates one-to-one into speedup in
SUSE. For example, if the bottleneck is IO, in windows I can spawn a
separate thread or 2 to do "read-ahead".

Are threads available and as effective in SUSE as they are in Windows?

I'd appreciate any suggestions concerning the modifications of the
module and concerning cross platform development.