Compiling Python 2.5.2 on AIX 5.2

Randy Galbraith Randy.Galbraith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 12:02:45 EDT 2008

On Apr 14, 7:01 am, "M.-A. Lemburg" <m... at egenix.com> wrote:

> On AIX 5.3, Python 2.5.2 should build out of the box using gcc.
>
> We've successfully build Python 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 on AIX 5.3
> using the gcc compiler suite and tools installed from the
> AIX Linux Toolbox:
>
> http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/p/os/aix/linux/toolbox/altlic.html
>
> ./configure --enable-unicode=ucs2 --with-gcc
>
> For 2.3 and 2.4 you need to patch pyconfig.h after the
> configure run:

Marc-Andre,

Thanks so much for responding.  I had to add --disable-ipv6 to ./
configure to prevent this problem:

checking getaddrinfo bug... buggy
Fatal: You must get working getaddrinfo() function.
       or you can specify "--disable-ipv6".

When I checked pyconfig.h to make the patch you suggested I noticed
line 60 already reads like this:

#define HAVE_BROKEN_POSIX_SEMAPHORES 1

When ran make I immediately ran into problems.  I'll investigate and
post back the results.  Any comments and direction here is
appreciated.

$ make
gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -
Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -IInclude -I./Include   -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o
Modules/python.o ./Modules/python.c
In file included from Include/Python.h:83,
                 from ./Modules/python.c:3:
Include/unicodeobject.h:73:2: error: #error Must define
Py_UNICODE_SIZE

What is Py_UNICODE_SIZE and why was it not defined?  There are current
questions I have.

Kind regards,
-Randy Galbraith
ps. Based on uname -rvp output of "2 5 powerpc" I'm assuming my OS is
AIX 5.2 on PowerPC.  I noticed you said you're on AIX 5.3.  I'm not
100% sure I'm understanding uname output correctly.