Desktop notifications on Windows

WindPower windypower at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 17:08:44 EDT 2008

On Apr 26, 4:52 am, David <wizza... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:41 AM,  <windypo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking for a way to implement desktop notifications (much like an
> >  instant messaging program or a mail notifier) within my Python
> >  application, on Windows only (no Gtk/Galago, please). I need no more
> >  than a simple text-based notification, which should be clickable and
> >  have a timeout, nothing else. I do not want to use Windows's "balloon
> >  tips", either. Any suggestions?
> >  --
>
> You could use Tkinter, which comes with Python.

The problem is that Tkinter cannot (I haven't looked at it in details,
so correct me if I'm wrong) create notifications the way I want them;
it can only create standard dialogs or top-level dialogs, both of
which steal the focus of other applications, while I want these
notifications not to interfere with anything (and possibly not be
displayed if an application is already running in fullscreen).