Python in High School

ajaksu ajaksu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:24:12 EDT 2008

On Apr 2, 5:01 pm, John Henry <john106he... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> However, once I start teaching him variables, expressions, loops, and
> what not, I found that (by surprise) he had great difficulties
> catching on.  Not soon after that, we had to quit.

This makes me curious: how much of videogamer are you? And your son?

I ask that because when I think about teaching programming to young
kids, I imagine using terms they know from gaming, like "save
slots" (variables/names), "memory cards" (containers),
"combos" (functions, loops), "life meters" (counters), "next
level" (conditionals, iteration, loops), "teammates" (helper
functions), "character classes" and "characters" (class and
instances), "confirm/cancel" (conditionals), etc.

But I've never really tried to put all those together and find a test
subject, so I'd like to know how fluent in this lingo you both were so
I can assess my pseudo-didatic approach by proxy :)

Regards,
Daniel