No subject

SPJ mail2spj at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 16:09:20 EDT 2008

I am writing a script which need's to convert an excel file to csv (text) format. For that I am using the following code:

    excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit")
    workbook = excel.Workbooks.Open(xlsfile)
    workbook.SaveAs(csvfile, FileFormat=24) # 24 represents xlCSVMSDOS
    workbook.Close(False)
    excel.Quit()

I did not have any problem running this script on a windows xp machine with python 2.5.2 and windows extensions. But I get the following error when I run the same script on a windows 2003 server with the same python and windows extension installation:

excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit")
  File "D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 95, in Dispatch
    dispatch, userName = dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch,userName,clsctx)
  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
    return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
    IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)

I verified that installation is same. Any idea's as to what might be the problem? One thing I have noticed though is I can't see Microsoft office 11.0 object library when I do combrowse on windows 2003 server. I also to tried to reinstall python and windows extension. But still no luck.

I would appreciate if anyone can guide me as to why this is happening and how to resolve this.

Thanks,
SPJ