Any reliable obfurscator for Python 2.5

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 09:32:36 EDT 2008

On 4/20/08, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> En Sun, 20 Apr 2008 01:55:51 -0300, Banibrata Dutta <
> banibrata.dutta at gmail.com> escribió:
>
> > Wanted to check if there is any known, reliable, FOSS/Libre --
> Obfurscator
> > for Python 2.5 code.
>
> Why do you want to do that in the first place?

I need to do to retain the confidentiality for certain core components,
which are not supposed to be open. While I do have the option of
implementing them in C/C++, I'm trying to see if I can avoid that for 2
reasons --
1. Its a fairly large and complex set of components, and doing it in C/C++
'might' take significantly longer.
2. I'd try to avoid having mix of languages if possible. It makes the
developement easier to maintain/manage over a period of time.

There is very few you can do to obfuscate Python code. You can't rename
> classes nor methods nor global variables nor argument names due to the
> dynamic nature of Python. All you can safely do is to remove comments and
> join simple statements using ;

I do not understand the nuances of dynamic languages completely, so this
might be a foolish assumption, but if i make a complete, self-contained
Python application (collection of modules), then just before shipping a
production copy, why can't I replace 'all' symbols i.e. classes, methods,
variables etc ? Esply if I'm compiling the source ?

If you remove docstrings, some things may break. Even renaming local
> variables isn't safe in all cases.

Hmmm... but I'm aware of atleast 2 Obfuscators one commercial and one FOSS,
that seem to exist for Python. The commercial one is what I might try if I
don't find anything FOSS. The FOSS one seems to be a dead project. If they
are (or have been) there, I guess obfuscation is a doable thing, no ?

cheers,

> Gabriel Genellina
>
> --

regards,