How is GUI programming in Python?

Michel Bouwmans mfb.chikazuku at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:56:54 EDT 2008

> I see a lot of people recommend using pyQt, but they never mention the
> controversy that surrounds its licensing. There have been many posts
> on the subject already, but if the OP ever decides to sell anything
> they create, I've heard that QT's licensing is kind of squirrelly.
> Maybe this has been straightened out?
>
> I looked at the website and found it fairly confusing. And don't you
> need to download QT itself?
>
> Mike

Yeah, the licensing of Qt is either be open-source (under one of the
Qt-exception licenses licenses so no exclusivity for the GPL anymore) or
pay for the commercial version. So yes, if you would like to sell it as
closed-source software you will need to buy the commercial version of Qt
and PyQt. In other words: you will have to pay twice. Don't forget that you
can also sell open-source software, so you don't have to pay. ;)

MFB