Recommendation for Web Framework

James West jwwest at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 03:18:13 EDT 2008

Let me explain my situation a bit.

I've been contracted to develop an ecommerce site. It's nothing too
huge but requires a lot of custom development that's not typical for
your run of the mill webstore. I've got about three weeks to get the
project delivered and I've written quite a bit of code already.

I'd like to find some sort of tool to generate some of the repetative
bits like data management (think phpMyAdmin but for Python) so I don't
have to write a stupid mangement script for every single module (users,
customers, inventory, etc). I know there's tools out there that will do
this for ASP code with a SQL server backend, but I haven't seen
anything for Python outside of the web application frameworks.

Ideally, I'd like something like Ruby on Rails that would provide
scaffolding support so I can bootstrap the system, so to speak. I've
looked at Django, but the client is only running Apache 1.x and Python
2.3. I've given Turbo Gears a try, but couldn't get SQLObject to run
(threw an error that I didn't have time to struggle with). So basically
I need something with low dependencies, easy to develop in, and
releatively easy to deploy.

Anyone have any recommendations? I really need something on which I can
ramp up quickly to get this project out of the door fast. I'm also a
framework newbie, so I know there's a learning curve.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

- james