Problems trying to hook own exception function to sys.excepthook

Sami sami.islam at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 6 04:54:37 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am new to Python.

I tried to hook my own ExceptionPrintingFunction sys.excepthook but it
does not work.

This is what I wrote:
import sys

def MyOwnExceptHook(typ, val, tb):
	print "Inside my own hook"

sys.excepthook = MyOwnExceptHook

x = 1/0
This is what I get
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"E:/Home/Programming/Python/TryProjects/ExceptHandling1/Except5.py",
line 8, in <module>
     x = 1/0

I never see "Inside my own hook" which tells me that the hook is not
being called. What I really want to test is to stop the exception from
propagating further and leave the program intact.

What am I doing wrong? Please let me know if there are any other newbie
groups that I should probably try in stead.

Thanks

Sami