How to Start

Shawn Milochik Shawn at Milochik.com
Fri Sep 14 09:41:00 EDT 2007

On 9/14/07, James Stroud <jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Here's your recipe:
>
>    1. begin coding until you hit a wall
>    2. read official tutorial until you figure out a solution
>    3. experiment in interactive interpreter
>    4. goto 1.
>
> I know this sounds obvious, but its the best way to jumpstart.
>
> James
> --

What a beautiful way of putting it! That's what I do all the time,
although sometimes my bookshelf or Google is a stand-in for #2. I try
not to post to the list before I have working code.

You know, if you could make that process into a haiku, you could just
make that your sig and answer nearly every question that hits this
list. ^_^

I wonder whether lists like this hurt more people than they help,
because it's too easy to ask for help too soon. Those of you who
consistently  give the best advice didn't learn by asking for help
every step along the way, did you? Is it really teaching a man to fish
if you bait his line and tell him where to cast?

Shawn