Python 3.0 migration plans?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Sep 27 22:30:51 EDT 2007

TheFlyingDutchman <zzbbaadd at aol.com> writes:

> It seems that Python 3 is more significant for what it removes than
> what it adds.

That's certainly the focus of an explicitly backward-incompatible
upgrade, yes.

> What are the additions that people find the most compelling?

Most of the additions that will go into 2.6 are doing so because
they'll appear in 3.0. That's a benefit: anything from 3.0 that makes
sense to add to 2.6 will go in; the rest of 3.0's changes are mostly
backwards-incompatible (i.e. removals and conflicting changes).

I find the following compelling:

  - 'str' becomes Unicode type, 'int' becomes unified-int-and-long
    type <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3100/>

  - Consistent, unambiguous integer literal syntax
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3127/> and the 'bytes'
    type for non-text strings
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3112/>

  - Default source encoding is UTF-8
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3120/> and support for
    non-ASCII identifiers
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3131/>

  - Reorganisation of the standard library for consistency
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3108/>

  - Renaming raw_input to input, so 'input()' does the obvious thing
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3111/>

  - Clarification of 'raise' and 'except' semantics
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3109/>,
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3110/>

  - Abstract Base Classes
    <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3119/>

  - everything that's being added to 2.6 :-)

--
 \      "I bought a self learning record to learn Spanish. I turned it |
  `\        on and went to sleep; the record got stuck. The next day I |