Python statements not forcing whitespace is messy?

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 15 18:11:29 EDT 2007

Steve Holden wrote:
> I don't know why you have a bug up your ass about it, as the
> Americans say.

I think most Americans say "wild hare up your ass". We do not, in fact,
say "wild hair up your ass". Many of us can testify that a hair up one's
ass would be nothing terribly unusual and would go completely unnoticed
under most circumstances.

Also, some Americans erroneously say "hair's breath", and others think
they mean "hare's breath" (which might be tiny, but diffuses quickly to
theoretically infinite volume). In reality, however, they mean "hair's
breadth"--which is quite small indeed! For instance, a hair's breadth is
far smaller than a hare's breath (even at the exact moment of respiration).

James