An Editor that Skips to the End of a Def

Matthew Woodcraft mattheww at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Sep 21 16:03:43 EDT 2007

Lawrence D'Oliveiro  <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>In message <87odfxjgjy.fsf at pobox.com>, John J. Lee wrote:

>> Seriously for a moment, I read something recently (maybe here?) about
>> an Apple study that claimed to show that people who perceived keyboard
>> bindings as being much faster than mouseing did not, on average, take
>> less time to complete the actions that were studied (they took more
>> time, in fact).  The plausible explanation for this was that people's
>> subjective perception of time is affected by the greater mental work
>> involved in typing (as opposed to mousing) for a given action.

> <http://www.asktog.com/SunWorldColumns/S02KeyboardVMouse3.html>

An interesting story. They say they picked a test for the express
purpose of proving that in some circumstances cursor keys can be faster
than the mouse, but came up with an exercise in which, unusually, the
keyboard part can be performed with one hand, so eliminating the bit
where the other hand moves from the keyboard to the mouse and back.

-M-