Creating a multi-tier client/server application

Kathryn Van Stone kvs at acm.org
Tue Sep 4 19:29:16 EDT 2007

Greetings,

I somehow missed some of this thread, but I believe you left a note
saying that you were not able to do Extreme Programming.

However, based on the description of the size of the project and the
size of the development team (is there any more than you?) I would
recommend you consider the following agile techniques:

1. Incremental development
2. Automated testing
3. Continuous integration

I think 1 and 3 are important in giving you a continuously working
system, along with a working system you can use for feedback during
the development process. Automated testing would support 1 and 3 and
keep you from having to do a lot of manual testing.  Wikipedia
describes most of those terms.

Also think about having acceptance tests that someone besides you can
verify match the specifications.

Lastly do use the fact that you are (presumably) close to some of
your customers to use face time for additional communication usually
needed beyond specs.

I hope this helps. It sounds like a useful project.

Kathy Van Stone
kvs at acm.org