Coming from Perl

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Mon Sep 17 01:57:21 EDT 2007

Amer Neely wrote:
> I don't have shell access but I can run 'which python' from a Perl
> script, and I will try the different shebang line you suggested.

And after trying it, Amer Neely reported:

> I tried `which python` and `whereis python` and got 0 back as a result.
> So it seems Python is not installed at all.

Probably right, but just to be thorough...  Since you do not
have shell access, I'm guessing you are running these within
a Perl cgi script, and getting the results via a browser. Is
that right?

Can you backtick other commands? What do you get if you run
`which perl` the same way? How about `whoami`, `whereis sh`,
and `which nosuchthingas5748614`? Can you list /, /bin and
/usr/bin?

How did you learn that this system could run your Perl
scripts? Can that source give us anything to go on here?
If Python is not installed, do you have some avenue for
requesting it?

We're down to long shots. Still, hosts that support Perl
but will not support Python are getting to be the rare.

--
--Bryan