Python 3.0 migration plans?

TheFlyingDutchman zzbbaadd at aol.com
Fri Sep 28 04:38:27 EDT 2007

> The fact that you compare and criticise the simple annotations like
> static or abstract with the much more powerful decorator concept shows
> that, despite being the maintainer of a
> soon-to-be-ruling-the-python-world Python 3 fork, lack understanding of
> even the most basic language features. Which isn't exactly news.[1]

Don't you mean "lack appreciation for the non-basic language
features"? static, class and abstract
are basic language features that I appreciate. "decorators" have been
in Python for only a small part of its existence, they aren't in the
vast majority of languages (if any other language even has them) which
means people write all kinds of software without them. Or rather, most
of the software ever written didn't use decorators. Doesn't sound
basic at all.

> Maybe you should start using python more and _then_ start discussions
> about it's features, when you have good grounds and can provide viable
> alternatives? But I guess that's a wish that won't be granted....

static and abstract keywords would seem to be very viable
alternatives. Viable enough that several language designers used them.